A position of the State Minister on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration was created within the government of Georgia on 17 December, 2004 according to the Presidential Decree # 597. Mr. Giorgi Baramidze was appointed as State Minister on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration and Vice Prime Minister on the basis of the decree.
Office of the State Minister on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration was created on December 31, 2004 according to the Decree # 133 of the government of Georgia. The objective of establishing the Office of the State Minister remains to aim at deepening Georgia's cooperation with EU and NATO and facilitating the political, legal, military, economic and cultural integration.
To achieve the set goals, the Office of the State Minister was tasked to:
- elaborate and monitor strategic and action plans in cooperation with the line ministries/state agencies. Establishing regular and direct contacts with the European communities and NATO has been defined as one of the key tasks of the Office;
- activate cooperation with EU and NATO member and candidate states to deepen European and Euro-Atlantic integration;
- elaborate recommendations and proposals on the drafts of international legal agreements;
- perform the functions of the National Coordination Bureau in the process of planning, implementing and monitoring the EU support programs in Georgia.
In order to effectively implement its goals, three departments were established within the Office of the State Minister: European Integration Coordination Department, Euro-Atlantic Integration Coordination Department and EU Programs Coordination Department. In addition, in 2005 "State Commission of Georgia on NATO Integration" and "State Commission of Georgia on EU Integration" were created as of the governmental decree.
On August 24, 2012 Mr. Tornike Gordadze was appointed a State Minister of Georgia on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration. Since the parliamentary elections of October 1, 2012, Mr. Alex Petriashvili holds the position of the State Minister.
In order to effectively achieve defined aims, the Office of the State Minister effectively utilizes the State Commissions on EU and NATO Integration, both of which are chaired by the Prime-Minister. The Office of the State Minister performs the functions of the secretary to the Commissions.
In order to deepen the integration process, the Office of the State Minister cooperates with the line structures of both NATO and EU member states, as well as with partner countries to attain the support on important issues during the integration process.
The Office of the State Minister actively cooperates with the diplomatic corps and missions accredited to Georgia.
Within the scope of its competence, the Office of the State Minister participates in the elaboration process of strategic action plans of different state agencies.
For the purpose of informing public on Georgia's NATO integration and future plans, a Legal Entity of Public Law "Information Center on NATO" was created in 2005 under the state control of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In 2007 the state control of the Center was transferred to the Ministry of Defense of Georgia. Since 2010, the Office of the State Minister has been implementing the state control over the Information Center. Since 2013, on the basis of the State Minister's recommendation, the governmental decree expanded the functions of the Center to incorporate the EU issues and has been since established as "Information Center on NATO and EU ". The Information Center, in coordination with the Office of the State Minister, implements various social projects in order to actively engage and inform civil society on the main foreign policy priorities of Georgia – about achievements and prospects on the path of EU and NATO membership.
Structure of the Office of the State Minister of Georgia on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration
Activities of the Office
Main functions of the office are implementation of coordination and monitoring of activities of the executive branch of the Government of Georgia on European and Euro-Atlantic integration.
These activities include:
EU Integration Coordination:
- Coordination of activities on the European integration of the Government of Georgia, Ministries and other state agencies;
- Assistance to approximation of Georgian legislation to the legislation of the EU;
- Coordination of the EU assistance and programs.
European Integration coordination Department main functions:
- Coordination and monitoring of the European Neighborhood Policy action plan/EU-Georgia Association Agreement implementation;
- Assistance and coordination of the cooperation on the EU's "Eastern Partnership" initiative including coordination and monitoring of the EaP multilateral and bilateral Road Maps;
- Coordination of cooperation with the EU in the framework of "Mobility Partnership" initiative;
- Executing functions of the secretariat of the state commission on Georgia's European integration;
- Assistance to approximation of Georgia and EU political, business and non-governmental circles.
EU Programmes Coordinating Department functions:
- Coordination with EU and line ministries the process of preparation and follow-up of international agreements and other regulatory documents related to EU funded programmes and projects, as well as National and Regional Indicative programmes and Annual Action Plans;
- Supervising and regular updating of a complete data base of ongoing and planned EU assistance programmes and projects.
- Organization of regular presentations of ongoing EU projects for the State Minister on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration and as a result monitoring of the EU projects implementation.
- Providing beneficiary institutions with practical assistance regarding guidelines, rules and procedures for the access and management of the EU programme and support them in drafting project proposals, project fiches, terms of reference, monitoring reports and other documents associated with EU aid modalities;
NATO Integration Coordination:
- Elaboration and coordination of implementation of Annual National Program;
- Cooperation with NATO under the framework of NATO-Georgia Commission;
- Informing NATO member states about the events in Georgia;
- Assisting with NATO information center activities.
NATO Integration Coordination Department main functions:
- Coordination and monitoring of the Government's executive branch activities with regard to Euro-Atlantic integration;
- Coordination and monitoring of the Annual National Program implementation;
- Executing secretarial functions for the state commissions on Euro-Atlantic integration;
- Cooperation with the respective offices of the leading nations of the world in the process of Georgia's Euro-Atlantic integration;
- Studying and analyzing the experience of the Eastern European and new member states;
- Cooperation with international and non-governmental and scientific-research centers with the goal of public information.
Administration main functions are communication support of the Minister and Deputy Ministers, organizing their meetings, managing correspondence, classified correspondence, preparing and processing Ministerial decrees, managing human resources, coordination of the process of preparation of information, analytical and speech material for Minister, control over implementation of tasking issued by Minister.
The office conducts dissemination of information concerning the integration process and public information on European and Euro-Atlantic integration by means of mass media, including the global media:
- Highlighting the course of Euro-Atlantic integration process intensively;
- Cooperation with representatives of mass media, non-governmental sector and academia, which in itself, includes:
- Organizing trainings for journalists;
- Organizing conferences, discussions, seminars and round table talks for media, government and non-governmental sector;
- Organizing lectures, seminars and competitions about the EU and NATO affairs at the educational establishments:
- Assisting to functioning of the NATO information center;
- Organizing cooperation and meetings with public advisory councils under the Office of State Minister on EU and NATO affairs;
- Information support to the European digest;
- Functioning of the web-page of the Office.